This was published yesterday in SCience. And it is exactly the problem I
talked about open access journals:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/09/open-access-editors-resign-after-alleged-pressure-publish-mediocre-papers

From the article"
All 10 senior editors of the open-access journal Nutrients resigned last
month, alleging that the publisher, the Multidisciplinary Digital
Publishing Institute (MDPI), pressured them to accept manuscripts of
mediocre quality and importance.

The conflict is familiar for many commercial open-access publishers:
Because authors pay fees per published article (about $1800 in the case of
Nutrients), the publisher has an incentive to publish as many as possible."

Anoop Balachandran