My views always been that as through the planning system Planning Authorities must ensure that land can not be determined as contaminated land under Part 2A, which ever part of the authority is responsible for decisions regarding contaminated land would provide advise to the Planning Authority.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future where development agencies have been set up as the Planning Authority for areas such as the Legacy Development of the Olympics.  These organisations have planning powers but are not the Part 2A authority.  In the case of the Olympic LLDC, who subcontract contaminated land planning decision to consultants, many decisions will have been made with out an official decision regarding contaminated land from the Part 2A Authority.

Thanks

Robert

Robert Tyler
Principal Pollution Control Officer - Land, Air & Water

London Borough of Hackney

Public Realm

Neighbourhoods & Housing Directorate

PO Box 70210

E8 9EJ

Tel: 020 8356 4827

For further information on Land, Water and Air issues see:  http://www.hackney.gov.uk/pollution-2.htm

Sign up to be warned of Medium and High Air Pollution Events in London: http://www.hackney.gov.uk/airtext

Disclaimers:
1. General Environmental Information: Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information and data provided within this correspondence, the Council accept no liability for any loss or damage howsoever caused arising from any reliance placed by any other person upon the information and data contained herein.

2. Relating to Planning (including London Legacy Development Corporation sites): The responsibility to properly address contaminated land issues, including safe development and secure occupancy, and irrespective of any involvement by this Authority, lies with the owner/developer of the site.