From: Collaborative Computational Project in Electron cryo-Microscopy <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Erik Lindahl <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, September 1, 2018 10:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccpem] RELION 3 Volta Benchmarks

Indeed - I would recommend staying away from them for now. NVIDIA decided to overclock their cards too this time, which seems to have required a different cooling solution.

There seems to be a couple of vendors that will produce "blower" cards (likely with slightly lower clock), and those will hopefully work fine with in servers or with 4 cards in a desktop, but it will likely be another month or two before they are out.

We'll also be looking at moving a few more things to the GPU, so don't give up hope of Volta yet - we hope they'll be quite a bit faster in the future - and there might be some interesting opportunities with the raytracing units...

Cheers,

Erik