Dear All,

Sorry to resurrect this FSC skirmish, but I was finding this one very educational compared to previous tussles, but would like to understand better. (btw I think using Nyquist period e.g. “2/3 nyquist” is confusing so I’m using Nyquist frequency, so “3/2” or “1.5 Nyquist")

Is aliasing between 2x Nyquist frequency and Nyquist "2-1N" in the individual particles a problem after reconstruction? I imagine that the many different observations of the 2-1N frequencies effectively samples them, but I am not sure how they are recovered and preserved.
Steven, isn’t Dimitry right that 2-1N aliasing in the experimental data is not critical since alignment based on lower freqs will recover signal for the real waveform and the aliasing will contribute noise? Won’t alignment of increasing experimental data reinforce signal of the ‘real’ frequencies before they were undersampled? (Are these recovered frequencies preserved in Fourier space without loss, in order that resampling is lossless, Dimitry?)
Or are aliasing artefacts in this range also reinforced by reconstruction?

I hope I’m not the only person with an appetite to understand the debate better - thanks for sharing expertise and views!
All the best
Teige