Dear Chiara,

My (non-expert) take on it is that, whether you use a 1/2 bit FSC criterion (asymptotic to 0.1716), advocated by Marin: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2017/11/24/224402.full.pdf or a 0.143 FSC criterion justified by Peter, Tony and Richard in this appendix: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022283603010222?via%3Dihub#APP1 , these fall-off thresholds require some assumptions to be met. E.g. FSC is between two independent half-maps; FSC vs resolution curve is a ‘nice shape’  - a threshold shouldn’t replace looking at the curve, which should be high before a single fall-off without big oscillations.
There is a debate going on about whether reporting a resolution beyond particular fractions of Nyquist is valid, but your negative stain reconstruction will be too far from Nyquist for you to worry about that.
Whereas a half-map FSC for high-res cryo is trying to determine a threshold where correlated signal can be interpreted as scattering by the molecules, negative stain is giving you a lot of signal from scattering by variable stain envelopes.
I think so long as the FSC curve is not a weird shape or oscillating, you should be able to use the same FSC criterion as cryo, for low-res. I’d love to hear more experienced views on this.

Another quality measure could be to look at your map’s anisotropy. Relion for example automatically produces a 3D histogram of assigned particle angles, and Dmitry Lyumkis has shared his group’s program for measuring anisotropy with FSC: https://mail.ncmir.ucsd.edu/pipermail/3dem/2017-September/005210.html

Finally, you might want to know if the shape of your 3D map at low-res is correct, which is definitely not a given. You can collect tilt-pairs (or do tomography): https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959440X15000925 but I think there have been other validation methods suggested that don’t require extra data, but I can’t find the paper. T_T Does anyone know?

All the best,
Teige