Pranav,
It depends on your goals, but if you want to validate subtraction results,
conversion between programs, make masks, or obtain initial references, then
the simplest thing is to use fewer particles. If you need the highest
resolution reconstruction possible, then you have to wait.

That said, you can probably parallelize more aggressively. Since this is an
IO bound task, more ranks above the number of available cores can speed
things up. Check the actual IO rate using iotop or htop (you can add the IO
rates via the setup menus). I usually use 40 MPI ranks for reconstruction
on a single workstation with a 6-disk RAID 10. For ~300,000 particles on a
~256px box I see just a couple minutes for backprojection and around 10-15
minutes for the reconstruction. You can find the number of ranks the
maximizes the IO rate, or minimizes relion's estimated time required.

You can also play with the Fourier padding and interpolation setting to
speed it up, but it could compromise the resolution. Whether these
parameters or fewer particles is better is likely data dependent.

Another approach is to import into cisTEM and use "Generate 3D," it's very
fast, but of course you have to wait for the import and refinement package
creation and use another program.

Best,
-da