Dear listmembers

If anyone is currently working on or with any local history projects that might fit with the callout below then we'd love to hear from you or for you to pass this on.

Call for presentations – ‘Radical Local Histories’

Radical Local Histories

Literary & Philosophical Society

Newcastle upon Tyne

26th October 2018

10am – 4.30pm

The Radical Local Histories conference will explore the power of local history projects to do more than preserve and celebrate the past. This one day event will highlight the work of projects that are using local history to bring communities together, to provoke discussion about current social or political issues or to raise questions about wider society.

The conference will also be an opportunity to share ideas on the value of community-driven history projects and to discuss what shared historical understanding can offer to communities.

 We’re looking for speakers to present on any current or recent local history projects (ideally taking place outside of a museum or university environment) that have aimed to:

        Challenge perceptions about an area’s history or explore the history of an area from a completely new angle

        Use history to shed new light on current social issues and to gain a better understanding of the present

        Raise awareness of the lives and experiences of people whose stories have been marginalised

If you would like to contribute to the conference then please send a proposal (maximum 300 words) to [log in to unmask] by 19th September 2018.

Speakers should aim to present for 30 minutes and we would like all speakers to join us for a panel discussion at the end of the day.

If you have any questions or would like to find out more then get in touch at the above email address.

tnl_hlfe_cmyk_renamed_from_pantone.jpg