Dear Colleagues,

As Elections Officer, I am writing to inform you that I have received five nominations for the three vacancies on the SRN Executive Council:
Emma Bolland, Carmen Sofia Brenes, Margaret McVeigh, Phil Nodding, Paolo Russo.

Please, see their statements below.

If you wish to vote, but you are not coming to Milan for the Conference and therefore you can’t attend the AGM, you can send me your vote by email to [log in to unmask]. The deadline for this, is September 12th by 12.00, Milan time.

Kind regards,
Eleonora Fornasari

Eleonora Fornasari, PhD
Department of Communication Sciences and Performing Art
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Largo A. Gemelli 1
20123 Milano
www.unicatt.it

SRN EXECUTIVE 2018  NOMINATIONS

Candidate: Emma Bolland
Artist, writer
https://emmabolland.com/about/

Proposer: Craig Batty
Seconder: Ian Macdonald

I work across writing, moving image, and performance. I have exhibited, performed and published widely. I am completing a Ph.D. at Sheffield Hallam University: ‘Truth is Structured Like a Fiction: Autofictive Practice and the Expanded Screenplay’. This year I am working with Craig Batty on a participatory ‘script development as performance’ event, which will be filmed for future editing as ‘film as research and artwork’, and am a guest speaker on the inter-medial and cinematic essay form at Dundee University’s Essay conference,

Interests
Relevant publications include:

* * *

Candidate: Carmen Sofia Brenes
Universidad de los Andes (Chile)

Proposer: Claus Tieber
Seconder: Ian Macdonald

I submit my candidacy for a position on the Executive Council of the SRN.

I am a Full Professor at Universidad de los Andes (Chile) and teach poetics and screenwriting. I am interested on the practical and professional current validity of Aristotle’s Poetics in screenwriting.

I have been the Communications Officer in the Exec from 2012 to 2015 and the Treasurer from 2016 to 2018.  Along these years I have worked for the Network taking part on the monthly meetings of the Executive Council, where I have developed different tasks, among them, the creation -with Christina Milligan- of the Newsletter of the SRN. I have also organized a regional Conference of the SRN in Chile in 2015, and co-edited a book about Transcultural Screenwriting with two other SRN members, Patrick Cattrysse and Margaret McVeigh (2017). The contributors of the book came also from the SRN or decided to become part of the Network after the adventure of writing a chapter for the book.

I want to continue serving on the Executive Council to disseminate the SRN in Latin America and to help scholars and practitioners to work together in international research projects and publications.

* * *

Candidate: Margaret McVeigh
PhD, Senior Lecturer/ Head of Screenwriting & Contextual Studies
Griffith Film School / Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia

Proposer: Carmen-Sofia Brenes
Seconder: Patrick Cattryse

I wish to give back to the organization that has given so generously to me and provided me with a global network of passionate, talented and collaborative colleagues!

My life has been deeply enriched by my association with the SRN at each conference since my first, Madison-Wisconsin, 2013. With Carmen-Sofia Brenes and Pattrick Cattryse I co-edited Transcultural Screenwriting: Telling Stories for a Global World, inaugural SRN Latin-American Conference, Chile 2015.

I will develop the SRN’s footprint in the Asia-Pacific and build on Davinia Thornley’s great SRN New Zealand 2017 Conference. Each year Griffith Film School works with filmmakers from countries including China, India and Kazakhstan, nominated for the Asia-Pacific Film Awards (Asia-Pacific Academy Awards) held in Brisbane. This provides a great opportunity to host a sidebar event connecting SRN members with Asia-Pacific screenwriters.

I will develop opportunities for SRN members to publish their screenplays as creative academic practice. I supervise PhD students in reflective screenwriting practice. In 2017 my short script was published in the online journal, Text and I wrote the documentary Love Opera funded by Screen Queensland, currently in post-production.

My have a Masters (Screenwriting Creative Practice) and a PhD (Film, New Media). I have worked in public relations, video production and publishing including: Commissioning Editor, Wiley & Sons and Writer, Australian National Broadcaster’s ABC Splash.

I nominate for the SRN Executive as a published academic and hands-on practitioner to continue its great work from the land down-under!

* * *

Candidate: Phil Nodding
Nottingham Trent University

Proposer – Julius Ayodeji
Seconder – Craig Batty

I’m a Manchester-born UK screenwriter and lecturer. I’ve been a screenwriter for over fifteen years, a university lecturer for ten years and a member of SRN for over 3 years.

I have written for UK TV and have produced a number of short films. Before studying screenwriting and then working as a professional writer, I worked as a film and TV location manager and before that I was employed as a journalist in Nottingham.

I am relatively new to SRN and to research – I attended the 2016 Leeds Conference and I am presenting a paper at Milan 2018 – but I feel I would bring a fresh approach to discussions and my professional writing experience will be useful in addressing issues surrounding research and conference organizing.

After graduating with an MA in Scriptwriting (De Montford University) in 2004 I met screenwriter Paul Abbott and was invited to write for series 2 and then series 3 of SHAMELESS (Channel 4/Company Pictures). I next wrote a script for Kay Mellor’s BBC1 series THE CHASE before developing a number of original TV drama, radio and feature film.

In 2008 I was selected for the BBC’s Radio and TV Drama Residential workshop where I developed a writing partnership with Steve Chambers and together we co-wrote the successful long running Radio 4 comedy drama HIGH-LITES about a misanthropic hairdresser.

I currently work as lecturer in filmmaking and screenwriting at Nottingham Trent University.

* * *

Candidate: Paolo Russo
Oxford Brookes University, UK

Proposer: Ian W. Macdonald, Leeds University
Seconder: Chris Pallant, Canterbury Christchurch University

I would like to express my interest in standing for election to the SRN Executive Council at the forthcoming AGM in Milan.

I teach Screenwriting and Story Development at Oxford Brookes University; my main research interest is in screenwriting studies, and I am a professional screenwriter as well.
I have been an active member of the SRN since 2012 attending all annual conferences since.
During this time, I have established an extensive network of collaborations with fellow SRN members from several countries, leading to a number of publications and future projects; and I will host/organize the 2020 SRN conference at Oxford Brookes University.

I have published scholarly pieces extensively, with particular focus on screenwriting, including articles in the Journal of Screenwriting, several book chapters, editing special journal issues and contributing to Nelmes-Selbo’s volume of female screenwriters. A complete list of my publications is available at https://www.brookes.ac.uk/templates/pages/staff.aspx?uid=p0075215

I collaborate with academic journals and publishers of international standing, having been on the editorial board of the New Review of Film and Television Studies (Routledge) from 2008 to 2017; and, for a brief period of time, I was Co-Editor of the Journal of Screenwriting (Intellect).

I am confident that the above makes me an ideal candidate for the SRN Executive Board.

To unsubscribe from the SCREENWRITING-RESEARCH-NETWORK list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=SCREENWRITING-RESEARCH-NETWORK&A=1