Dear All,

A bit of a puzzler for me that I hope you can help me resolve. Is there a general requirement to retain any document relating to asbestos for a period as long as those specifically focused on asbestos management?

Here is the scenario:

Normal retention for a document is one year.  Say, a monthly supervision report.

The document is stored in an HR file.

The person leaves the authority.

A claim ensues relating to asbestos several years later.

Document is found in HR file.

Document refers to asbestos handling.

Would there have been a reason to retain a document that mentions asbestos for several years beyond the normal retention period?

Best,

Lawrence

Lawrence Serewicz

Information and Records Manager

Transformation and Partnerships

Durham County Council

County Hall

Room 143-148 4th Floor

Durham

County Durham

DH1 5UF

Direct 03000 268 038

Switchboard 03000 26 0000

www.durham.gov.uk

Follow us on Twitter @durhamcouncil

Like us at facebook.com/durhamcouncil

Follow us on linkedin.com/company/durham-county-council

43148 GDPR email bannerFINAL