I love the scope of these! They're thought-provoking and relevant to
the kinds of things students question.  I think the danger of using very
literary quotations about writing in particular is that the kind of writing
they tend to focus on is so far removed from what many students do and care
about that they are the opposite of inspiring - imagine an engineering
student with a report to write who's faced with something flowery and
shakespearian about the joys of literature or literary reading - it's
possibly going to be more alienating than inspiring and maybe make them
think that these learning or writing developers are on some other ethereal
plane with more idealistic concerns than relate to the student's mundane
situation. I love that the ones on this list are literary but
also practical, grounded and validating the kind of dark thoughts that many
students - and staff - have about writing, and show that they're not alone!

as another medievalist, I'm going to offer *Nicholas of Cusa*: “For even he
who is most greedy for knowledge can achieve no greater perfection than to
be thoroughly aware of his own ignorance in his particular field. The more
be known, the more aware he will be of his ignorance.”