y Lead

BCS Certified GDPR/Data Protection Practitioner, Certified FOI Practitioner.

M:07586 493447   |   [log in to unmask]    |   www.swcsu.nhs.uk

South, Central and West Commissioning Support     | South Plaza, Marlborough Street, Bristol BS1 3NX

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Holt
Sent: 10 August 2018 09:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] Passing Debt information to a debt recovery agency

Morning all

Our College is owed a debt by an ex-student after a loan was recalled by the student loans company after their investigation resulted in them deciding that the loan was applied for fraudulently.

I’m happy with passing details of the debt and debtor to a debt recovery agency to attempt to recover the debt, but I’m unsure about sharing further details (i.e. that the debt was incurred because of fraud). I believe it may help the agency to know all the circumstances around the debt to aid recovery, but my brain keeps saying that it isn’t necessary for the debt collectors to know how the debtor became liable outside of they didn’t pay for a course and they are now liable for fees, so that’s personal information that the agency shouldn’t have.

Would it be advisable to withhold this information, or would you share?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Holt

Head of Management Information