Many thanks for all your suggestions.

The subsequent land use doesn’t indicate any major, industrial contaminant sources so I am not anticipating any significant contamination issues with this site, but wanted to understand what this feature might be for future reference.

Also, many thanks to Drew for the observation about market/vegetable gardens.  I have now accessed a slightly older map of the same area on NLS and found similar-ish markings on a patch of land next to a site on ‘Seed Hill’ (see attached as evidence!) and having ‘got my eye in’ am now starting to see small areas with simpler diagonal and horizontal lines in different orientations which are I would therefore now tend to assume are veg/market gardens or allotments (also attached).

I would presume that the most likely contaminants associated with such sites of this era are likely to be arsenic and PAHs from ash and clinker used as soil conditioner and possibly some substances used as pesticides/herbicides.  However given that most of the sites were subsequently covered by terraced houses and other land uses, the 1850s market garden as a source of contamination is not likely to be a major factor.

For completeness, other suggestions included historic ridge and furrow type features which enabled some parts of a field to be dried out to enable cultivation of crops, or with agricultural use.  This would also fit with the idea of it being a vegetable garden of some sort and with the thought that it included drainage features.  We are outside of the ‘tusky triangle’ but that does not preclude the idea that they might have been growing rhubarb or other fruits!

All interesting stuff (and I did find the ‘Plaid’ comment entertaining this morning).

Many thanks again.

Best regards,

Ann

Ann Barker

Lead Officer Contaminated Land

Environmental Health

Tel: 01274 431147

Email [log in to unmask]

City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council

Department of Health and Wellbeing, 5th Floor, Britannia House, Broadway, Bradford, BD1 1HX

“Working Together to Deliver Better Health and Better Lives”

This e-mail, and any attachments, may contain Protected or Restricted information and is intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed.  It may contain sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly.  If this e-mail has been misdirected, please notify the author immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on any of the information contained in it or attached, and all copies must be deleted immediately.  Whilst we take reasonable steps to try to identify any software viruses, any attachments to this e-mail may nevertheless contain viruses which our anti-virus software has failed to identify.  You should therefore carry out your own anti-virus checks before opening any documents.  Bradford Council will not accept any liability for damage caused by computer viruses emanating from any attachment or other document supplied with this e-mail. E-mails may be subject to recording and / or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

For Freedom of Information requests, please visit our website http://www.bradford.gov.uk/foi before you submit a request as you may find the information and data that you want in the data that we already publish in our Publication Scheme.  The Scheme has a significant amount of information which is available to you, without the need for a specific request, and describes how we work and how to obtain information published by our various departments.