So had this from our rep;

I have now had the response below from our Global Privacy Officer:

As part of our implementation of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), we introduced the new privacy pop-up in Learn that allows clients to reference their privacy policy/statement and support them with their requirement to be transparent to individuals. As part of the privacy pop-up we also require the users to accept our general Terms of Use. Requiring end users to agree to Terms of Use is common practice for the provision of software and is required, for instance, to protect ourselves against the misuse of our products.

In our Terms of Use we have included wording in section 3 (which you highlighted) that grants Blackboard a limited license to submitted, posted or displayed content. As the provision of Learn functionalities is likely to lead to content being used and copied as part of the system functionalities (e.g., during the creation of back-up copies of your Learn instance), Blackboard requires a license to be able to comply with applicable copyright laws. Without obtaining the license for the user’s content, Blackboard could be in breach of copyright law when it copies or otherwise uses content that was submitted, posted or displayed by your users. The purpose of the highlighted section is therefore to ensure that we can provide the Learn functionalities in way that complies with copyright laws. We clarify in the Terms of Use that the user retains the rights to any such content.

It’s also important to mention that nothing in the Terms of Use can override the agreement between the University of South Wales and Blackboard. This is clarified in the last paragraph of the introductory section of the Terms of Use.

By accessing or using our products the users agree to be bound by the Terms of Use (see introductory section). This means that when the privacy pop-up window for Learn is disabled, the Terms of Use still apply.

I understand this but I'm still concerned as the wording;

"adapt, modify, publish, transmit, create derivative works from"

goes further than covering Blackboard to perform backups and restoration (where content is simply duplicated, stored or copied wholesale).

A reasonable person could interpret this as use our content to make other content and publish it elsewhere.

If you apply CU4 this seems impossible to get rid of – it appears in the apps even though it is disabled in sys admin

Is anyone else concerned with this?