Dear Marthie,

Thank you for kicking off this discussion. We are also finding students with a mixture of UK and International A levels. UCAS have confirmed that HESA has agreed to code International A-levels as P92 (Level 3 qualifications of which none are subject to UCAS Tariff for QUALENT3 purposes) URL: https://www.ucas.com/providers/services/news/ucas-data-hesa-transaction-starj-2018.

However, if the student has one or more UK A/AS levels they will be coded as P94 (Level 3 qualifications of which some are subject to UCAS Tariff) overall as the UK A levels attract tariff.

HESA undertook analysis a few years ago looking at the impact of including P94 in league table calculations. The conclusion was that if the league table excluded mature (21 or over) students the impact was minimised as the number of young students with a mixture was minimal. International A levels will affect this considerably.

Should we work together as HE providers to request HESA / UCAS review the impact in good time for the 2018/19 student submission. The current Qualent3 league table guidance for the Times / Guardian will pull down institutional tariff where there are students with this particular UK/International A/AS level mix. Complete guide excludes P94. Suggestions could be  a) removing students with a P94 code from ALL league table calculations, or b) assigning tariff points to these International A levels.

In relation to reformed AS levels, the subject code with the highest tariff attracted the tariff points, the other is ignored. However, some International A levels are coming in with new subject codes, so even if there was some way to discount the AS if a non-tariffable International A level was held, it will not be easy to map e.g. Pearsons International Maths has subject code X17, compared with the usual Mathematics M11 code.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Kind regards

Emma (University of Greenwich)