It is worth looking at niche construction theory in this regard. Organisms affect their environment (by say eating grass) and in doing so affect the whole ecological niche. The outcome of evolution however is to establish some kind of balance between populations so that they don’t over consume. Too many herbivores for the grass will attract carnivorous predators who by controlling the herbivore population allow the grass to survive. In a resilient / sustainable ecology these populations may cycle, but they will not go out of balance completely.

Alan