Hi Giles,

More generically its part of the PSF for HEA Fellowships.
The most direct mapping is K4 – The use and value of appropriate learning technologies.

Samantha

From: "Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association" <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Giles Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, 4 July 2018 at 11:02
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Digital skills, knowledge, literacy for academic staff

Dear SEDA colleagues,

I hoping the collective brain has some examples to help with the following two related digital skills questions:

Do any of your universities have any digital skills, literacy, requirements or similar statements or benchmarks for academic staff (as opposed to students)? Related to this...
Do anyof you use a self-assessment questionnaire or similar exercise for academic staff around their knowledge and skills or confidence with technology?

A little explanation if it helps: For our PGCHE we're hoping to put a renewed focus on staff's digital skills/literacy, including both generic skills, specific academic jobs related ones, and some media creation. Based on our existing/developing related university statements and our own wishes, we're developing an essential (and desirable/extension) list of key skills knowledge regarding technology use that we want to ensure every single academic going through the PGCert can demonstrate by the end of the course. Given the wide diversity at the start here both in experience and confidence, some of this will be targeted/individual (1-1 if needed), so I'm interested in scoping their starting points. The areas include fundamental VLE usage and library databases, but also other areas like using styles in word, basic image editing, video conferencing, creating videos/audio for teaching. Not a huge list for now, but no academic leaving the course should still be in the 'I don't know/am not confident how to do that/never done it' type category anymore (whether they choose to do so afterwards is their own pedagogical and professional choice!). It would be good to compare our plans with others for ideas etc. I've found a few examples online but you never know what you don't know about!

Any comments, examples, or suggestions gratefully received, and I'll collate everything as usual to feed back to the group (let me know if you want to remain anonymous, or anything that's not for wider sharing).
Many thanks and best wishes,

Giles

Dr Giles Martin MSci MEd PhD PGCert ODE SFHEA FSEDA

Programme Leader (Academic Professional Development)

Institute for Education

Bath Spa University

Newton Park, Main House 201
01225 875709 / [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> / @gilesdrmartin<https://twitter.com/gilesdrmartin>