Thank you for your reply Ruth, that’s very helpful.

Regards

Andrea

Sent: 02 July 2018 10:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ProSolution - ESFA Restriction Consent / GDPR Consent

Hello,

We still haven’t downloaded this version yet after all the bugs it has to begin with.

What’s the point of having separate fields if they’re just going to copy over?

My opinion, and I feel very strongly about this, is that the ESFA contact options bear no relation whatsoever to any other contact permissions. I suspect I’ll be hiding the “GDPR” fields if they’re linked in this way. Honestly, I wasn’t planning to use them anyway. The way we establish permission for the College to contact a student, is to explain that we will contact them using any of the contact methods they have provided (we have good reasons to do this that don’t require consent). If they don’t want us to email them, for example, they should not provide their email address at all. Having a whole page of contact tick boxes is just confusing and difficult to manage. People won’t remember to refer to these fields when sending correspondence, which could lead to problems. It’s easier to just entirely remove contact methods that we can’t use. What’s the point in holding an email address if you can’t use it? If a student doesn’t want us emailing them, I’m almost certain they won’t want ESFA contacting them either, so not returning their email in the ILR will be fine.

If we ever sent Marketing stuff, we’d need consent for that, and would ask that separately.

Ruth