Jerry and all,

Jerry, I agree very much with what you have added, and I’d like to add two more qualitative considerations.

One is a subtle inflection of your primary and secondary qualitative relationships, and may indeed be implicit in what you have written. For me the idea of ‘position’ is central. It grew out of my work on communication theory.

In Jorge Frascara’s “Designing Effective Communication”(2006) I gave a summary of the ideas and thinking that led me to see the relevance of ‘position’ to information design. It’s called ‘Where am I'

I suspect that ‘position’ is the elephant in the room in the mansplaining discourse that preceded this thread. It is also, from my point of view, one of the most neglected issues in Design and General Systems Theory

The second qualitative consideration is the activity or argumentations: the specific rhetoric and logic that we deploy in defence of any position we take.

A small footnote to my own ‘position’: As a committed secularist and none-zionist with an upbringing in Jewish/Israeli culture, Big Truth never died, because it was never alive outside the tribal cultures I grew up in but left. What has always been alive for me is our common humanity. But my glasses, like yours are tinted, and I can only see what is in front of me. Everything else contains a greater or lesser degree of certainty, inference, and speculation.

Sless, David. “Where Am I?,” In Designing Effective Communications; Creating Contexts for Clarity and Meaning, edited by Jorge Frascara, 29–37. New York: Allworth Press, 2006.

David