Don,

> On Jul 20, 2018, at 3:18 PM, Don Norman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Instead of long discussions about what each individual on this list thinks
> a mem might mean, one can simply use a search engine. There one finds such
> authoritative statements as:
>
> an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be
> passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially
> imitation.

Email notoriously lacks communicative nuance. I can’t tell whether your use of "authoritative" is serious. I hope not but it seems to be. Pardon me if I’m just displaying my lack of humor.

Richard Dawkins coined the term and has since written and spoken about it at some length. That might make him authoritative. Others have taken up his cause and written and spoken at length including in interaction with Dawkins. That might make, say, Daniel Dennett and Susan Blackmore authoritative.

Quick: Name three "elements of a culture or system of behavior" that may *not* "be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation."

Why would such a thing be called "a meme"?

How does it advance our understanding of anything to use that term?

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program