Dear NATSCA,

A request below from a colleague looking for specimens (especially shells) collected by Samuel or Francis Archer - if you do have any specimens in your collection could you let James know (details below).

Thank you!

Nick Booth

I wonder if you might be able to help in locating a somewhat obscure Victorian collection.  Later this month (25-27 July) I will be presenting a paper in Berlin discussing some of the ecological specimens carried around the world by the ship SS Great Britain and its crew.

Of particular interest is the collection of Samuel Archer, who served as the ships’ surgeon in the late 1850s (1857-9).  Archer was a conchologist with a general interest in marine life, and his father, I believe, was Francis Archer, one of the founding members of the Belfast Natural History Society (and also a collector of shells).

Unfortunately, we do not have any specimens of Samuel Archer’s collection here at the SS Great Britain archives – do you know if any collection is extant, or any photographic record of it?

With kind regards and many thanks in advance,
James

James Boyd |History Fellow in the Brunel Institute| SS Great Britain Trust
E:   [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>