From: Health of minority ethnic and migrant communities <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Stephanie De Maesschalck <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 12 July 2018 17:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FW: looking for a native English speaker with good knowledge of the Turkish language

Dear Mark

I absolutely agree! Thank you for joining this discussion.

best wishes

Stéphanie

If we are being pedantic, we could always insist on having a level 3 qualification such as the Institute of Linguists qualification - and in Europe there are also various (Grotius) standards required for legal interpreters - my "Best man"'s son grew up and went to school in a french speaking Swiss school so was registered as a 'native level' speaker of French with second language Portuguese through examination even though his parents were both English/Scottish native English speakers ....

So it goes on.  We think we know what we mean, but many 'mothertongue' speakers lack the technical language required for this task, in either language!

Hey ho, at least there is some sense in getting things translated properly - and then checked (if possible, according to Raj Bhopal's wise advice) by a monolingual reader of the "minority" language, so as to check the meaning and implications, since most "bilingually competent" folk (present company excepted) can read and are 'culturally competent' in both languages so will not realise that the monolingual speaker only has one register of understanding....

If you need this explained, my fees are reasonable.

Mark

Mark R D Johnson
Emeritus Professor of Diversity in Health & Social Care
Mary Seacole Research Centre / CEEHD
De Montfort University Leicester LE1 9BH

please use e-mail: telephone messages may not be received