Hi all,

I am looking into filling the gaps in the artist module in our CMS, largely to help with copyright permissions but also to help meet our Collections Online validation criteria.

My search so far led me to a MOMA CSV file on GitHub:
https://github.com/MuseumofModernArt/collection/blob/master/Artists.csv

The main issue with this file, and also with our own records, is that it's not clear whether the 'BeginDate' or 'EndDate' fields are birth and death dates or 'Active' career dates or, as I suspect, a mixture of both!
The other issue is that this dataset only goes back to 19th century (being from MOMA), this date range should solve the copyright issues but to help with the online validation we'd like it to go back as far as possible.
As well as the life dates, the other main fields we are interested in are: name, nationality, gender and role.

Could anyone please point me towards a reliable source for this information or perhaps contacts who may be willing to share?

Many thanks in advance,

Alistair Orr
Technical Image Assistant, Digital Collections
Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology
University of Oxford

Beaumont Street
Oxford OX1 2PH