Dear Colleagues,

I have just returned from seeing Frederick Wiseman’s three and a quarter
hours documentary on the New York Public Library.   It is worth every
minute and the best documentary film I have seen on the value and values of
the public library service. It is not that widely released (I saw it at
Nottingham’s European funded Broadway Cinema) but catch it if you can.

It is full of good things. Watch out for a speech from Khalil Muhammad who,
when the film was made, was Director of the Schomburg Centre for Research.
He succinctly sets out the importance and significance of libraries in the
modern world. There are also numerous examples of, and extracts from,
programmes and events at the world famous building in Manhattan and at
various branches throughout the city.

In addition, there are fascinating glimpses of management meetings where
important professional and social issues are debated and discussed. At the
time of the film (2015) the library had achieved a successful budget
settlement and there was some emphasis on services to disadvantaged people
and communities.  These US library professionals exhibited a passion, and
reflected a belief in the significance of libraries to democracy, history,
diversity and equality that is sadly missing from our Library Task force.  I
hope someone will arrange to show it to them in the near future.

I want to see it again and am trying to find out if there is a DVD version
available which is suitable for my ancient Region 2 player.  Perhaps some
CILIP Special Interest Groups or Member Networks could obtain copies to
show around the country?

Of course, as a recent issue of *Library Journal* indicates, things may now
be rather different following the Trump administration’s call “for the
defunding of the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), as well
as a number of other programs relevant to libraries.”  However, as one
critic observed, “The New York Library is everything Trump doesn't
understand,”

Make no mistake,  this  film is essential viewing for all those of who
believe in and care about libraries.  Do see it if you can. Don’t take my
word for it but take a look at the *Guardian *article that brought it to my
attention. It can be found at:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/sep/03/ex-libris
-new-york-public-library-review-documentary-frederick-wiseman

Bob Usherwood

--

Bob Usherwood PhD

Emeritus Professor