The July issue is out, and it is as hot as the British weather! (And that's something you don't read every day.) We kick off with my editorial which questions how editors can balance quality with inclusivity - a hot topic from the SSP and EASE meetings, and to be discussed during the ALPSP meeting in September. We have some fantastic research about journal coverage within ESCI, the growth and quality of Chinese journals, an evaluation of author-suggested reviewers - and where these reviewers come from - and the publishing habits of middle eastern authors. For an update on OA initiatives, read about the Incubator model at Utrecht that has been in operation for 6 years. For anyone interested in technology transfers, our update covering the thorny issue of reconciling ORCIDs from submissions is a must-read. And finally, an article from Cabell explains how they decide which journals go into its Blacklist - fascinating stuff.  For anyone who publishes works from Early Career Researchers (surely all of us?) the update summarizing what publishers can learn about ECRs from the recent Ciber research provides great insights.

We also include a couple of case studies: if you have thought about using scenario planning in publishing, the article from the BMJ provides many useful tips, and if you are concerned about the Impact Factor (recently out) then the article showing how individual papers can skew a journal's IF is enlightening.

And as for opinions ... a plea to revise the ICMJE authorship recommendations, and a consideration how the copyright landscape is changing present some food for thought.

Enjoy the summer - and enjoy your summer reading!

Best,
Pippa

Pippa Smart
EiC, Learned Publishing
@LearnedPublish

Learned Publishing Volume 31 No 3 July 2018 www.learned-publishing.org<http://www.learned-publishing.org>
All articles are free to all ALPSP and SSP members and to journal subscribers; in addition, editorials, reviews and letters to the Editors, as well as any articles where the author has taken up the OA option, are now free to all.
ALPSP members - please log in at the top right of the ALPSP website home page to access the full content - email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> if you do not have a username and password

SSP members - please log in to the member center on the SSP website to access the full content

Diane French
Learned Publisher Administrator
The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP)
E: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> T: +44 (0)1827 709188
W: www.alpsp.org<http://www.alpsp.org/> Follow us on Twitter: @alpsp

ALPSP is a Company limited by guarantee and incorporated in England and Wales Registration no: 4081634. Registered Office: Egale 1, 80 St Albans Road, Watford WD17 1DL UK

DISCLAIMER: This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the person(s) entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. This email may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ALPSP. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please return it to the sender immediately and delete it completely from your computer system.