Beautifully put, Cathy!

Learning and Academic Development, like our 'non-traditional' students
themselves, have always occupied contested ground - in the academy
generally, in our own institutions and in successive policy documents and
dictats.

When we analysed the Government Policy document: Harnessing Technology all
those years ago - there was no acknowledgement of educational or social
inequity. Any reference to 'our' students - was that they were 'hard to
reach' with 'cognitive impairment' and or 'special education needs' (this
is not to decry students with learning differences); and all that was
needed was access to services, especially online packages designed to fix
them.

Now we have an HE that is ever more about the bottom line and the most cost
effective way of delivering more for less; that is fundamentally
managerialist in design - with managers asserting their right to manage:
what we teach, what technology we must use and increasingly how we shape,
deliver and assess our courses.

Now we have a TEF that defines good teaching by graduate salaries (which of
course will bear no relation to the academic, social or cultural capital
with students arrived at their universities!).

Such instrumentalism shapes the national narrative about education from
nursery onwards; it shapes the narrative of HE - and it is sadly no
surprise that it also shapes the narrative of learning development.

Best,
Sandra

On 6 July 2018 at 12:38, Malone, Cathy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi John, Helen, All,
>

> I agree with much of what you and Helen are saying but I think have a real
> proviso.
>

> I think we have a perspective on language and literacies – and we’re not
> getting that across / it’s not understood. There is a real disconnect and
> failure to refute the forces shaping our workplaces.
>
> While I firmly believe an understanding of literacies is enabling and
> transformative, I recognize this is not a widely shared perspective. I am
> more frequently mistaken for Liz Truss, or when I advocate for a Writing
> Centre I am looked at as if I want to establish a Scriptorium. I think
> you’re right that part of the reason for this misunderstanding is the way
> that  ­­language is utilized in the academy. This is reflected in Graduate
> Attributes – Charters – Assessment documents & sector wide it reflects a
> move to isolating and disaggregating different parts of the curriculum. The
> Ford Motor company comes to HE. This separates language from learning and
> ideas – which for any linguist is patently absurd.  I’d agree that this
> service delivery of academic language checking and fixing that we have
> found ourselves marshalled into for efficiency’s sake, is discriminatory to
> all students but particularly those on the margins.
>

> I recognise that  many  colleagues across the country do transformative
> work in spite of the labelling and (mis)understanding of our work. But the
> label on the tin is important – it frames our work, for the wider staff
> group and for new students coming to university.  If you are ambivalent
> about your place in the academy,(Lillis, Lea & Street, Bourdieu, Ivanic) a
> great deal of tension focuses on the manner of expression and the
> connection at an individual level between language and identity. Services
> such as Studiosity suggest addressing this is a quick fix, a simple
> solution, free, in terms of finance, effort, face. In contrast I am clear
> with students that it is difficult, writing is hard and challenging – but
> it’s worth it. This as well as the numbers, explains why such services are
> so popular.
>
> However when a university provides these services (Turnitin for
> referencing, Studiosity for language checking)  they consolidate this
> superficial framing of language, and provide educational authority to the
> idea that you can compartmentalise and outsource elements of your writing
> like this. In this context I think we can’t expect students as novices to
> the arena come to our conclusions. I don’t see these students as “well
> –disciplined” but as the most marginal and disempowered by the structures
> of the university and wider society. In contrast we are already part of the
> academy and we have both the analysis and the practice to challenge what is
> happening.
>

> For me the institutional framing of the academic language is significant
> [...]

Sandra Sinfield
University Teaching Fellow
Centre for Professional & Educational Development
LC-213 London Metropolitan University,
236-250 Holloway Road, N7 6PP.
(020) 7 133 4045
Association of Learning Development in HE: www.aldinhe.ac.uk
Essential Study Skills: the complete guide to success at university:
https://study.sagepub.com/burnsandsinfield4e
<https://study.sagepub.com/burnsandsinfield4e>
http://lastrefugelmu.blogspot.co.uk/
Find me on Twitter - or use #studychat & #loveld

--
London Metropolitan University is a limited company registered in England
and Wales with registered number 974438 and VAT registered number GB 447