I agree, Juan.

One of the challenges of medical practice (and education) is to use System 1 (intuition) and System 2 (deliberative, conscious thought) as they have evolved—synergistically.

A primary problem with the intuition (System 1) of physicians (and other members of the patient’s care team) is that medical education addresses System 2 almost exclusively, leaving System 1 to develop catch-as-catch-can, resulting in most of the faux pas that System 2 zealots love to ridicule. If physicians were soccer players or piano players, we’d understand that all sophisticated practice is primarily System 1; we’d use System 2 primarily to refine System 1’s performance (and to support that performance in the small number of boundary situations encountered).

Cheers!