Dear colleagues

Our Doctoral College recently made a proposal to the University to change the academic regulations to allow e-only submission of doctoral theses. The proposal was rejected on the grounds that the PDF copy can be edited, whereas the paper copy can be retained as the copy certifiably signed off by the examiners. We know that we can password-protect PDFs using Adobe Acrobat Pro, but are not sure whether the committee will accept this as a solution. Do any other institutions have any experience to offer as to how you safeguard the electronic copy as the true copy of record? If we can build up a body of evidence that will help our case.

Any information gratefully received.

Regards

Glyn

[CSEUK Primary (r) RGB]

Glyn Price, Acquisitions and Metadata Librarian, Information Services, University of Brighton, Cockcroft Building, Lewes Road, Brighton BN2 4GJ
Tel. 01273 642782, Email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>