Anna,
I think much will depend on the degree level. For example, the PhD exam is a public event. It is a publicly awarded degree in that it tells the public the holder is an examined expert in this topic.

The thesis is "published" by the university in that a copy is held in their record office and the library. Although some individuals can arrange with their institution for those records to be closed to the public even though they are on file. I am not aware of this occurring on a PhD but I have heard of it for a BA/BS in the US.

If this is only their marks, not whether they have the degree, then it would appear an inappropriate method to inform the students and would appear to breach the relevant principle about fairness.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Lawrence

Lawrence Serewicz
Information and Records Manager
Transformation and Partnerships
Durham County Council
County Hall
Room 143-148 4th Floor
Durham
County Durham
DH1 5UF

Direct 03000 268 038
Switchboard 03000 26 0000

www.durham.gov.uk
Follow us on Twitter @durhamcouncil
Like us at facebook.com/durhamcouncil
Follow us on linkedin.com/company/durham-county-council
[43148 GDPR email bannerFINAL]