​
*APPLICATIONS OPEN FOR THE MRES ARCHITECTURE AT RCA*

A uniquely interdisciplinary degree, the MRes is the only postgraduate
course taught across all four schools of the RCA. Students work with, and
will learn methods, practices and theories from Architecture, Arts and
Humanities, Communication, and Design.

If you have any students, colleagues, networks you think might be
interested in checking it out, you can look at our announcement on Eflux
here:
https://www.e-flux.com/announcements/201076/applications-open-for-the-
mres-architecture/

Or our short video here:
https://vimeo.com/278285253

Students who enrol this year will take part in the year-long transnational
seminar:

*We Cannot Work Like This: Decolonial Practices and Degrowth
<https://www.rca.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/rca-mres-architecture-announces-international-seminar-contour-biennale-9/>*
Collaboration with “Coltan As Cotton,” Contour Biennial 9, Michelin,
curated by Nataša Petrešin-Bachelez, organised by Nona Kunstencentrum.

In this cross-disciplinary seminar students will work collaboratively in
each of their institutions on a proposal for sustainable approaches in
relation to cultural institutions and their own practices, looking at
sustainability through the self-reflexive, anti-capitalist and anti-racist
lens. The launch of the seminar will take place at the Swamp Pavilion, in
the frame of Venice Biennial of Architecture 2018, which is a project by
Nomeda and Gediminas Urbonas. The second meeting takes place at the RCA in
January 2019. And the seminar concludes in Mechelen, Belgium in May 2019.

We invite applications from prospective students interested in joining the
School of Architecture's active concerns with urban culture, cohabitation,
extractive accumulation, material and social inequality, demographic and
environmental change, spatial semiotics and generational justice.

The programme attracts a broad range of early and mid-career architects,
spatial practitioners, and urban scholars who see an advanced research
degree as an opportunity to develop research for practice, or as
preparation for PhD study.

Please feel free to pass on my email - I'm happy to speak/email with anyone
who might have questions about the programme.

All best,
Adam

--

Dr Adam Kaasa

Senior Research Tutor

Lead for MRes in Architecture

Architecture Liaison for Critical Historical Studies

Architecture
Royal College of Art
Kensington Gore, London
SW7 2EU
E: [log in to unmask]
www.rca.ac.uk
twitter.com/rca | twitter.com/adamkaasa
facebook.com/rca.london

New Book:
Gavin H., and Kaasa, A (2017) *Uncommon Building: Collective Excavation of
a Fictional Structure*, Spirit Duplicator: Sheffield.
<https://www.spiritduplicator.org/product/uncommon-building/>

Latest Publications:
Bingham-Hall, J., and Kaasa, A (2017) 'New Cultural Infrastructure: Can we
design the conditions for culture?' Theatrum Mundi Working Papers. London
School of Economics. London.
<http://theatrum-mundi.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/NCI_WorkingPaper_draft2_formatted.pdf>

Kaasa, A., Bingham-Hall, J., and Pietrostefani, E. eds. (2016) *Designing
Politics: The Limits of Design*, Theatrum Mundi Working Papers, London
School of Economics, London.
<http://theatrum-mundi.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Designing-Politics-The-limits-of-design.pdf>

Kaasa A. (2016) 'Cohabitation: Against the Tabula Rasa and Towards a New
Ethic for Cohabitation', UN Habitat III Commissioned Discussion Paper.
<https://www.academia.edu/28623660/Cohabitation_Against_the_Tabula_Rasa_and_Towards_a_New_Ethic_for_Cities>

[image: logo]