Cambridge Scholars Publishing is pleased to announce the publication of Transmedia Storytelling: Pemberley Digital’s Adaptations of Jane Austen and Mary Shelley by Jennifer Camden and Kate Faber Oestreich, which may be of interest to yourselves.

This volume charts the evolution of Pemberley Digital’s transmedia adaptations of nineteenth-century novels in order to interrogate the uneasy relationship between transmedia storytelling and consumer culture. It first examines two Austen-centered films, Lost in Austen and Austenland, that present “immersive” Austen experiences that anticipate Pemberley Digital’s transmedia adaptations, bridging traditional film adaptations and transmedia’s participatory culture.

Subsequent chapters turn to Pemberley Digital’s transmedia adaptations of Austen’s and Shelley’s novels to argue that, although such adaptations may appear feminist in their emphasis on female protagonists, their larger narratives expose a subtext of anxiety about unstable gender roles, financial vulnerability, and the undervaluation of career-specific skill sets, both for the characters and the production company itself. The study provides a robust theoretical framework within which to read transmedia adaptations of “classic literature,” illuminating both the potential of, and the challenges facing, digital and transmedia storytellers and participants.

To read a full summary of the book and to read a 30-page sample extract, which includes the table of contents, please visit the following link:

http://www.cambridgescholars.com/transmedia-storytelling

Transmedia Storytelling: Pemberley Digital’s Adaptations of Jane Austen and Mary Shelley can be purchased directly from Cambridge Scholars, through Amazon and other online retailers, or through our global network of distributors. Our partners include Bertram, Gardners, Ingram, YBP, Inspirees and MHM Limited. For further information, please contact [log in to unmask]

Please feel free to share this announcement with your readership, and should you require any further information about this title or how to order please don’t hesitate to contact us

Kind regards,

Matthew Scott
Assistant Publisher

Web:     www.cambridgescholars.com
Email:   [log in to unmask]
Social Media: TwitterFacebookLinkedInBlog

Cambridge Scholars Publishing publishes in Health Sciences, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Social Sciences. Established in 2001, our operational headquarters are in the historic Lady Stephenson Library, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, with representative offices in Berlin, Germany, and Barcelona, Spain. We maintain an office in the city of our foundation, Cambridge, UK. Cambridge Scholars Publishing Ltd is registered in England. Reg. No: 4333775; VAT No: 108280727

If you experience any difficulty reading this message, please send us an email to [log in to unmask]

British Association for Romantic Studies
http://www.bars.ac.uk<http://www.bars.ac.uk/>

To advertise Romantic literature conferences, publications, jobs, or
other events that the BARS members would be interested in, please
contact Neil Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>

Also use this address to register any change in your e-mail address,
or to be removed from the list.

Messages are held in archives, along with other information about the
Mailbase at: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/bars.html