​​Hi Grainne

There are many non-toxic dietary forms of arsenic present in fish, seafood and animals that are fed on foodstuffs derived from marine sources.  It is not uncommon to see high levels of urinary arsenic related to the diet.

We always recommend that patients do not eat any fish or seafood for at least 5 days prior to providing a urine sample (1st morning void).  If ​the sample is then shown to contain arsenic we would send it for speciation analysis which is used to show the concentration of the different forms of As and will help determine whether exposure is to the toxic forms (As III or AsV) or the dietary forms.

If you contact me directly rather than via the list server I will be able to give you details of a lab in the UK that does this.

Kind regards

Chris

C. F. Harrington, BSc, MSc, PhD, FRSC
Principal Clinical Scientist
Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford

Deputy Director, SAS Trace Element Centre
Scheme Manager, UKNEQAS for Trace Elements and Guildford Peptide Hormones
Visiting Senior Research Fellow, University of Surrey

Research www.researchgate.net/profile/Chris_Harrington

Direct Tel. 01483 689977
Fax. 01483 689979
email: [log in to unmask]