Call for Papers Journal of Beliefs and Values
Special Issue: Critical Issues and Research in Religious Literacy

Guest Editor: Prof. Adam Dinham, Goldsmiths University, London.

Religious Education in schools evokes mixed memories - and feelings - for most in those countries where it exists. Where it does not, it can be mystifying that schools might have anything to do with religion or belief. Yet migration and globalisation mean daily encounter with increasing diversity, whatever our own religion, belief or none. How we teach, and learn, about religion is a critical part of how we respond religion, often framing our capability to do so.

This special issue focuses upon how we teach and learn about religion and belief across sectors of society – in schools, universities, professional training, workplace learning, and informal, community and citizen settings, as well as a range of international perspectives – through the lens of religious literacy. Papers are particularly invited which engage with any of the following domains and themes:

  *   school RE
  *   religion and belief in Higher Education
  *   engaging with religion and belief identity in the public professions: social work, nursing, counselling, medicine, policing, prison service, armed forces, civil service and others
  *   citizenship and lifelong learning about religion and belief
  *   communities of learning about religion and belief
  *   comparative - especially international - approaches
  *   methodological issues and historical perspectives in religious literacy
  *   pedagogies of religious literacy
  *   definitions and measures of religious literacy

Papers should be submitted according to the journal style guide, and will peer-reviewed according to the journal’s policy.

Deadline for submission: 28 February 2019. Please do so through Editorial Manager online submission system, indicating that you wish your submission to be considered for this special issue.

Publication early in 2020.

All the best,
Céline
_________________________________
Céline Benoit
Teaching Associate
PhD Researcher
Programme Co-Director BSc IBML (International Business and Modern Languages)
Acting Programme Director BSc MFL incl. School Experience
Socrel Convenor – www.britsoc.co.uk/socrelgroup<http://www.britsoc.co.uk/socrelgroup>

SOCREL-PG is the Postgraduate e-mail list of the BSA Sociology of Religion Study Group.
To  join SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line message:
join socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME
to: <[log in to unmask]>
Send contributions to the list by
sending messages to: [log in to unmask]
To leave SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line message:
leave socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME
to: <[log in to unmask]>