Can anyone help me, please?
     Carrie's diaries for 1898 record that, on their visit to South
Africa in the (European) spring, John Lockwood Kipling (the pater)
accompanied them.
     In 1899, they did not go to the Cape, but took their diasastrous
trip to New York.  The next time they went south was in early December
1900, when the Rees Extracts state that, at Southampton "Pater meets us
and goes to see about his and his family's passages".  The implication
is that Mr and Mrs Kipling (Snr) went with them - but there is no
further mention of the Kipling parents in South Africa.  He might,
of course, merely have come to see them off, using the opportunity to
make arrangements for his own voyage somewhere else at a later date.
     And in December 1901, on their way to Southampton to join the
/Kinfauns Castle/, something similar happened again Rees records that
"We make an early start, travelling by saloon to Southampton.  Pater
meets us at Eastleigh.  Start on SS /kinfauns/ at 5p.m."  Again, was the
pater going with them, or merely coming to see them off?
     I would like to know, did the pater go with them on either or both
of these trips?  Carrie's diaries make no mention of him during their
stay at the Cape in early 1901 and 1902, though she did when he was with
them in 1898.  I incline to the view that he was merely coming to see
them off (it was not a very difficult railway journey from Tisbury to
Eastleigh), but I'm not sure why Carrie included the bit about the pater
going to see about "his and his family's passages"
/Alastair Wilson/