OK, John, I'll 'bite'.  I really must find out more about Donald Mackenzie.  I mean, how nutty can you get - unless he was being exceptionally prescient, and forecasting rising sea levels over a century before we started to get all het up about melting ice caps, global waming and rising sea levels.  But we're still only talking abour rising sea levels of centimetres, and Timbuktu  lies at an elevation of 261 metres.  But, to be fair, the Suez Canal, dug through more-or-less similar desert is 100-odd miles long - and in Britain we were about to make  Manchester accessible to deep-sea ships (opened 1894), so why shouldn't Victorian engineers dig a canal 2, 3 or 400 miles long?   In all seriousness, it's one of the things I admire about our Victorian forebears - their total conviction that their technology could master any problem which it faced.  But assuming that a canal to Timbuktu would have been a steady rise, from sea-level to 262 metres, I'm not sure where he was going to get the water from, to keep his summit level supplied with water.
    As regards the lunatic line, I suspect that bit of doggerel post-dates any interest Kipling might have had when the tale was written in 1889 - I mean, British 'official' invlovement with Kenya only started in 1888, a scant year before Kipling wrote the tale which started this off.
    But it's fun.
    Alastair Wilson