Hello,

I thought this conference might be of interest to some of your subscribers - it is open to research on all geographic areas.
Please could you help to share the call for papers?
Many thanks,
Alba

Women, Work & Activism:
Pasts, Presents, Futures
Newcastle University, 9th-10th November 2018
Keynote Speakers: Professor Sian Moore, University of Greenwich
 and Professor Jan Windebank, University of Sheffield

Website: https://womenworkandactivism2018.wordpress.com/
Abstract Submission: Please send to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by 31st July 2018
Sponsored by: Labour and Society Research Group, Newcastle University and Gender Research Group, Newcastle University

Work by women: pay deficit; inferior employment status; fewer promotion prospects; less social value; greater precarity; often invisible and unmeasured. All this is true despite decades of legislation surrounding citizenship, human rights and employment rights. This historic problem is one that the post-2008 global crisis has exacerbated through welfare cuts and a neo-liberal and gendered drive on the part of employers to render labour markets more ‘flexible’. However, women have not passively accepted these inequities. From the Bread and Roses strike that inspired International Women’s Day to the Grunwick dispute in the 1970s, women have organised, resisted and challenged unequal treatment, and workplace injustice.

We welcome historical and theoretical investigations of women, work and activism.  Possible topics include – but are not limited to – the following:

  *   Invisibility and visibility of women’s work
  *   Equal pay and gender discrimination in the workplace
  *   Women and workplace protest, organisation, and resistance
  *   Organising women in trade unions: recruitment and union strategies
  *   Emotions of labour and the labour of emotions
  *   Visualising, photographing, and representing women’s work
  *   Women and work in literature
  *   Intersections of class, race, gender, and sexual orientation at work
  *   Homeworking and domestic labour
  *   Women and unfree forms of labour
  *   Sex workers, the law, and resistance
  *   Methodological problems of researching women’s work
  *   Technology and the future of women’s work
  *   Creative industries, new media, and women’s work

This conference will bring together scholars from different disciplines, including History, Sociology, Politics, Geography, Economics, Industrial Relations, English & Other Literatures, Business & Management, Gender & LGBT+ Studies, Modern Languages, and Media & Cultural Studies.

Abstracts are invited for individual 20-minute papers, for 3-paper panels, and for roundtables. We also welcome submissions for the postgraduate poster competition. Please submit 250-word abstracts (plus 100-word biography) for each paper or poster. We particularly encourage PGR and ECA colleagues (we hope to secure funding to assist PGRs, please contact the organisers).

Alongside the main program we will be running a postgraduate poster competition sponsored by History Workshop Online. The winning PGR will have the opportunity to publish a contribution, of about 500 words plus a link to their poster, on History Workshop Online highlighting the interconnections of their work with historical and contemporary radial histories from below. We welcome submissions from PGR students at any stage of their research and in any discipline. Please do not hesitate to get in touch for further information and for any informal enquiries.

Alba Griffin BA (Hons), MA

PhD Candidate in Latin American and Iberian Studies

School of Modern Languages

Newcastle University

Newcastle upon Tyne

www.ncl.ac.uk/sml/staff/profile/agriffin2<http://www.ncl.ac.uk/sml/staff/profile/agriffin2>