June 12, 2018

Today the CLOCKSS Archive - the long-term preservation service for scholarly
content -- announced that the CLOCKSS system will preserve all Crossref
metadata.

The Crossref system contains bibliographic information for 97 million
scholarly articles and book content, and growing by ~2 million each year.
Crossref is the underlying infrastructure for several crucial features of
scholarly publishing, such as reference linking, plagiarism checking, and
provenance and license information.

"It is important for any infrastructure service to have backup plans in
place," said Crossref Executive Director, Ed Pentz. "Combined with other
archival services, by preserving our metadata in the CLOCKSS Archive, we are
ensuring that we have a strong contingency plan, as part of our commitment
to persistence of the scholarly record for the long-term."

"The CLOCKSS Archive is proud to be a Crossref preservation partner," said
CLOCKSS Executive Director Craig Van Dyck. "The Crossref metadata services
deliver enormous value to scholarly communications. CLOCKSS will be an
important component of protecting this value. For CLOCKSS, this signals that
we will preserve not only journals and books, but also underlying metadata
that users and services rely upon, as well as ancillary content such as
supplementary material and other emerging forms of scholarly content."

About: CLOCKSS is a not-for-profit joint venture between the world's leading
academic publishers and research libraries whose mission is to build a
sustainable, international, and geographically distributed dark archive with
which to ensure the long-term survival of Web-based scholarly publications
for the benefit of the greater global research community.
http://www.clockss.org

lis-e-resources is a UKSG list - http://www.uksg.org
Follow us on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/UKSG