Hi Jayne

Not sure about part 2 of your question, but some thoughts on Q1:

This HEFCE and government reports are a bit old (2010), but might be of use:

White, D. et al. (2010) Study of UK Online Learning. Oxford.

Online Learning Task Force (2011) Collaborate to compete Seizing the opportunity of online learning for UK higher education.

There’s also Lee (2017) who I think touches on growth of online HE in the lit review part of this article:

Lee, K. (2017) ‘Rethinking the accessibility of online higher education: A historical review’, The Internet and Higher Education, 33, pp. 15–27.

There might be something in the intro parts of Selwyn (2017):

Selwyn, N. (2017) Education and technology. Key issues and debates. 2nd edn. London: Bloomsbury.

In the US context, Allen and Seaman have done a series of reports including this one:

Allen, I. E. and Seaman, J. (2015) Grade Level: Tracking Online Education in the United States, 2014.

As Dustin said, the ALT mailing list would be a good place to ask this, and it may have been asked before. You could also search their journal (ALT-J), or British Journal of Educational Technology etc.

Could you please let me know if you find anything else useful? Thanks

Best regards
Steve White

Steven White
Study Skills Tutor
+441202363373
aub.ac.uk

​The contents of this communication are confidential and intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s). If you have received this email in error please delete it and do not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter it. Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Arts University Bournemouth.

Although  Arts University Bournemouth has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the University cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.