From: GP-UK [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julian Bradley
Sent: 02 June 2018 16:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Genetic Information and Insurance

Thanks Emile.

That was / is my feeling too when I think about some of the classical
hereditary diseases.

However to recount what I recollect about the argument at the beginning
there was a concern about the creation of a genetic underclass who would eg.
never own a home because  (it was said) you need insurance to get a
mortgage, and there was concern about potential effects on employment as
well.

There were / are also issues about children being genetically tested then
finding this disadvantages them as adults.

To reiterate it seems unlikely that the arguments have gone away, though the
mood may have changed.

Of course as the technology gets more sophisticated the insurance companies
could require genetic testing along the lines they sometimes require
insurance medicals.

Do insurance companies differentiate on ethnicity or religion given what is
known about these factors and longevity / insurance risks?