Well done for having ago, Rohini

Just further on the numbers part, I really don’t like NNTs and NNHs for two main reasons

1.       There’s lots of evidence that people find it hard to compare rates with different denominators; say, an NNT of 7 and an NNH of 9. NICE CG138 (what Neal would like to call the ‘kindness guideline’) recommends using a consistent denominator

2.       It’s not just about the absolute difference. Consider an NNT of 34 (ARR 3%, NNT rounded up) for avoiding death due to some unpleasant condition over the next 5 years. How one interprets that is very different if that is actually a reduction from

a.       100% mortality to 97% mortality (not a huge absolute difference, but now hope where there was none before)

b.      52% mortality to 49% (still roughly half of all people die and half live)

c.       3.001% to 0.001% (a small but important risk almost abolished)

To quote the Montgomery judgement ‘The assessment is therefore fact-sensitive, and sensitive also to the characteristics of the patient’

IMHO It’s much better to use natural frequencies and say (in the example given)

On days 14–42, and on average:

·         With hormonal therapy alone, 43 infants in 100 had spasms and 57 did not

·         With hormonal therapy plus vigabatrin, 28 infants in 100 had spasms and 72 did not

Also, of course, one would need to make clear that it’s not possible to know if any individual will be one of the 15 in 100 who benefit or one of the 85 in 100 for whom adding vigabatrin makes no difference to what would have happened anyway

Chris Cates’s NNT online (http://www.nntonline.net/visualrx/) will do the calculations and give you a nice graphic

Best wishes

Andy

Andy Hutchinson

Medicines Education Technical Adviser

Medicines and Technologies Programme
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence

Level 1A | City Tower | Piccadilly Plaza | Manchester M1 4BT

Tel: 07824 604962

Web: www.nice.org.uk/medicines