Yes indeed Allen, you are absolutely right

You raise an important issue, about communicating uncertainty – especially in shared decision-making

I think most less-numerate people can cope with aleatory uncertainty – most people get the idea that we can’t say which way a coin will land or what number will come up when we roll a die (although gambler’s fallacy suggests that people find it harder to realise that  even after a sequence of 6,6,6,6 the next roll is as likely to be a 6 as any other number. But then we’re at the beginning of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead!). In NICE decision aids we routinely say ‘it is not possible to know what will happen to any individual person’ . I think

Communicating epistemic uncertainty is more of a challenge. The IPDAS review by Trevena et al summarises things by saying

That was 2012. I do know that there is active ongoing research in this area.

As we know, GRADE gives an overall measure of quality, which is perhaps worth exploring in communication with people facing the decision, especially if we link that to explanations of those terms:

Best wishes

Andy

Andy Hutchinson

Medicines Education Technical Adviser

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence