Right, Monday morning is over, and a quick call round peers to check to see if my thoughts are completely at odds with best practice.

Asbestos in soils!!!

Where site have been remediated, I have seen several consultants who will remain unnamed who state that where fibres (individual/bundles...) are encountered, these may be treated by removing a zone of soil several metres around the positive findings (essentially digging out the trial pit position).  The madeground generally in question is ubiquitous across a site and possibly has multiple sources, and process histories.

In my understanding, in madeground where fibres are encountered, these should not be considered as 'hotspots' and removed where encountered.  In my understanding, significant statistical and stratigraphic information should be obtained for the material to determine why it is present and whether it is common in madeground streams from various sources/or through site practices where multiple madeground units have been intermixed.  Hence, rather than a 'hotspot' (typical for an oil tank spillage where there is a single source), the whole stratum is anticipated to be impacted.  Significant statistical assessment may be made to determine the extent of risk associated - which would require a vast number of samples from multiple stratum and depth.

By digging out a position where asbestos fibres have been encountered in my understanding was not an appropriate method of 'remediating' or 'risk assessing' asbestos in soils.

I am willing to withstand a barrage of emails to say that I have been out in the sun too much at the weekend and my brain has been boiled!

[CGeol-Logo-template]Kind regards
Nik

Mr N Reynolds
BSc(Hons), MSc, CGeol, CSci, FGS, MIEnvSc, EurGeol, QP060
Senior Environmental Geologist
This e-mail requires acknowledgement to ensure the sender that the correct recipient has received all information requested/necessary.
*:  Coopers, Park House, Sandpiper Court, Chester Business Park, Chester, CH4 9QU
*: (01244) 684910                      *: Direct Dial No. (01244) 684919
*: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>           Web:  http://www.coopers.co.uk<http://www.coopers.co.uk/?link=NR>
[cid:image003.jpg@01D14A27.0BB64690]
Private and Confidential
This message may contain private and confidential Information. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform us and delete the message immediately. Coopers believe that this email and any attachments are free of any virus or other defect which may adversely affect a computer, however it is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not affect your systems and Coopers do not accept any responsibility from any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.

Privileged and confidential information and/or copyright material may be contained in this e-mail. The information and material is intended for the use of the intended addressee only. If you are not the intended addressee you may not copy or deliver it to anyone else or use it in any unauthorised manner. To do so is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail and destroy all copies.

Coopers promote a sustainable environment.  Please only print this email if necessary.  Where possible please store and record this e-mail electronically rather than on paper.