Dear colleagues,

I’d lke to draw your attention to the 3D-FSC server that we’ve put together for use among the cryo-EM community:

https://3dfsc.salk.edu

The 3D-FSC provides a quantitative measure of directional resolution anisotropy, which is caused by preferential orientation at the air-water interface, as described in Tan et al 2017<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28671674>  We have consistently found that in many single-particle experiments, especially in cases with severe preferential orientation, the global FSC alone is insufficient to accurately gauge the quality of a dataset, and in some cases, can even bely the interpretability of the map. Thus, we feel that this is an important quality control measure for single-particle reconstructions in general, and we hope that the community will find it useful for evaluating their density maps.

Regards,

Dmitry