Dear friends,

I am very sad to tell you that my dear friend and collaborator Doug Altman
passed away today.  We were working together to the end and exchanged
emails only on Friday.

Doug and I have been friends since 1972 and have published together 100
times, with more in draft.  They will be finished.  Doug is one of the most
influential medical statisticians of the past 40 years and did so much to
improve the methodological quality of medical research, thus benefiting
thousands of lives.

Doug had been treated for bowel cancer.  Recently, he told me that there
were metastases, but I thought we still had time.  I am bereft.

Martin

J. Martin Bland
Prof. of Health Statistics Emeritus
Dept. of Health Sciences
Seebohm Rowntree Building
University of York
Heslington
York YO10 5DD

Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 01904 321334     Fax: 01904 321382
Web site: http://martinbland.co.uk/

Statement by the University of York:
This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely
for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based
upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the
sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Any views or
represent those of The University of York.

SIGNOFF allstat