Dear Wafaa,

The reason lies on the issue of what is the best representation of the underlying configuration. For a city as a whole, it is best represented by individual natural streets rather than fragmented axial lines. Axial lines are of use if you concentrated on part of a city, or when there were no way of generating natural streets.

Herewith a piece of message I shared with AXWOMAN  users, and it may help address your concern:
Axwoman can auto-generate axial lines, but natural streets are much better than axial lines at a city scale for illustrating the underlying scaling or for predicting traffic flow:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/1918773_Self-organized_Natural_Roads_for_Predicting_Traffic_Flow_A_Sensitivity_Study
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/1764726_Street-Based_Topological_Representations_and_Analyses_for_Predicting_Traffic_Flow_in_GIS
http://giscience.hig.se/binjiang/axwoman/TutorialNaturalStreets5PDF.pdf

I just delivered a talk to CSUM 2018, and it is closely related to the issue you raised: https://youtu.be/pVUquwnwcvc
If you are tired of oral presentation, herewith the related text: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324819522_Editorial_Spatial_Heterogeneity_Scale_Data_Character_and_Sustainable_Transport_in_the_Big_Data_Era

Thanks and cheers.

Bin