An interesting article in this week's /Spectator. / The writer, Laura
Freeman, evidently a priamry school English teacher, was bemoaning the
fact that her children are unable to express their emotions other than
being 'good' or 'sad' , or though the emojis on their smart-phones,
because of their lack of vocabulary, due, in many cases, to their
inadequate reading skills (which meant that they could not read for
pleasure) and lack of grown-up conversation..

     But, she wrote "The children in my more confident group" (she was
talking, Ithink, about 8-9-year-olds) "came alive with Rudyard Kipling's
/How the Camel Got His Hump. /They loved 'frouzly head'  and
'snarly-yarly'  Anyone who didn't do their homwork that term was 'most
'scruciating idle'.  They were hungry for novelty. I might even say
starved of it.  We talk of food poverty.  But not word poverty.  We are
appalled by diets of popcorn and chips.  We should be as outraged about
the children whose reading and writing diet is hearts and stars and
aubergine emojis."

/Alastair Wilson/