Indeed it can’t, and it isn’t it’s role to do so. Anyone placing something onto YouTube and expecting its long term preservation is forgetting the very first rule of archiving: For something to be considered archived it must come under the control of the nominated archivist. Placing it somewhere where you have almost no control over it is about as far away as you can get!

The same goes for any of the social media and document/media sharing apps out there. Their purpose isn’t long-term preservation, it is to make money by selling advertising to you and your data to others. Stuff can be deleted on a whim, and the whole service could disappear overnight (just like Fotopic did). Recognise it, and live with it!

Neil.

Sent: 02 May 2018 15:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Silicon Valley Can't Be Trusted With Our History

In the summer of 2017, observers of the Syrian Civil War realized that YouTube was removing dozens of channels and tens of thousands of videos documenting the conflict. The deletions occurred after YouTube announced that it had deployed “cutting-edge machine learning technology … to identify and remove violent extremism and terrorism-related content.” But the machines went too far.
“What’s disappearing in front of our eyes is the history of this terrible war,” Chris Woods, the director of the reporting and advocacy organization Airwars, said at the time.

https://bzfd.it/2jnjXkv
https://bzfd.it/2jnjXkv+

--
Peterk
Dallas, Tx

(Ref: #*CUK0308) [Ref-CUK0308]
Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies which may be in your possession. UCB screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. UCB accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail. (Ref: #*UG1107) [Ref-UG1107]