I’d like to make Militarch list members aware of a new research report which features the mapping of the First World War landscape at Cannock Chase, Staffordshire

Download the research report: http://research.historicengland.org.uk/Report.aspx?i=16004

From 2016 to 2018, Historic England was a partner in The Chase Through Time project. This explored the rich history of Cannock Chase Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) from the air and on the ground. In particular, we were able to map the full extent of the First World War remains using new airborne laser scanning data. The project results will aid management of Cannock Chase, help to develop future projects and will contribute to a lasting legacy of archaeological investigation of this area by heritage professionals and volunteers. The results of the project are also available to view via an online map hosted and maintained by Historic England (see https://historicengland.org.uk/research/current/discover-and-understand/landscapes/cannock-chase/).

An important strand was the involvement of volunteers. Historic England shared skills, provided training and promoted the use of non-invasive analytical survey techniques with people interested in exploring the history of the Chase.

All across the Chase, much is hidden in woodland and heath, including one of the best-preserved First World War landscapes in England. As part of the Great War centenary initiative: Home Front Legacy, Historic England undertook an archaeological survey in partnership with Staffordshire County Council, with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF). The HLF support included funding for high-resolution lidar. This allowed us to see beneath the trees, revealing an exciting range of archaeological features dating from prehistory onwards. Other sources included historic aerial photographs, which recorded archaeological remains and the changing landscape over the last 70 years. As well as the First World War, other major archaeological themes from the project included extensive medieval and later coal mining, post medieval land division associated with the early management of the Chase, and the localised concentration of prehistoric burnt mounds. 565 archaeological sites were mapped, of which 436 were new to Staffordshire County Council’s Historic Environment Record where they will be used for management of the landscape.

Kind regards

Robin

Robin Page

Digital Coordinator

Investigation and Analysis Department

Direct Dial: 01793 414617

Historic England | The Engine House | Fire Fly Avenue |Swindon |SN2 2EH

https://historicengland.org.uk/research/

Historic England Logo

We are the public body that helps people care for, enjoy and celebrate England's spectacular historic environment, from beaches and battlefields to parks and pie shops.
Follow us:  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram     Sign up to our newsletter

We're creating a list of the 100 places which tell England's remarkable story and its impact on the world; listen to our podcasts to see what's made the list. A History of England in 100 Places sponsored by Ecclesiastical.

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of Historic England unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to Historic England may become publicly available. We respect your privacy and the use of your information. Please read our full privacy policy for more information.