Please join us for the next London Medical Sociology Group seminar on Wednesday 30th May

Speaker: Professor Tim Rapley, Northumbria University

Title:  (Re)configuring the parental gaze: the work of change in the context of a trial

Perinatal stroke occurs when the blood supply to part of brain is interrupted in the womb or in babies age 28 days or less.  It may lead to cerebral palsy, learning difficulties, or other disabilities with life-long personal, social and financial consequences.  I was part of a team that developed a parent-delivered home based early therapy intervention (eTIPS) for the first 6 months of life for babies with a diagnosis of perinatal stroke. The eTIPS approach has been initially evaluated in a pilot feasibility study. This involved recruiting families of babies with perinatal stroke and 'typically' developing, with monthly home visits over a six month period. We have undertaken observations, interviews and focus groups with parents of babies with perinatal stroke and 'typically' developing babies, parents of children with perinatal stroke and with health professionals.

In this talk, I want to focus on how parents perceptual configuration of their babies is shaped and transformed, over time, in and through enaging with the eTIPS intervention.  I outline how, given a context of prognostic narratives of risk and uncertain futures, parents of babies with perinatal stroke initially buy into the eTIPS approach.  Over time, parents work to (re)adjust their interactions with their babies, alongside the local geography of their home and the material culture of new parents.  Centrally, parental action and reasoning was also transformed through the interactions with the research team and research-orientated task. For those parents of babies with perinatal stroke, we especially see biographical reconstruction, in which future trajectories are (re)imbued with elements of hope. Whether we choose to call it 'behaviour' or 'practice' change, I want to explore the (mundane) work of change in the context of a research setting.

VENUE: Jenny Roberts Room, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Tavistock Place, WC1H 9SH

The seminar is from 6-7pm followed by a drink in a pub nearby. Everyone is welcome to attend, the group has no formal membership.

Nearest Tube: Euston, Kings Cross, Russel Square

Contact: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Dr Lorelei Jones

Senior Research Associate

Department of Applied Health Research, UCL

1-19 Torrington Pl, WC1E 7HB

T. 07714687184

E. [log in to unmask]

1. For general enquires or problems with the list or to CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS send a message to:
2. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
set medsocnews nomail
3. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
set medsocnews mail
4. To leave MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
leave medsocnews
5. To join or subscribe to MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
SUBSCRIBE medsocnews firstname lastname
6. Further information about the medsocnews discussion list (including list archive and how to subscribe to or leave the list) can be found at the list web site:
https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jiscmail.ac.uk%2Flists%2Fmedsocnews.html&data=01%7C01%7Cjane.sandall%40KCL.AC.UK%7Ca7d880b4a70e4875685f08d5c01aa6ff%7C8370cf1416f34c16b83c724071654356%7C0&sdata=WOeuZBsRZ6VkuFeAiZAcm6ZYmviWEX%2FCXUY3W5P4w0E%3D&reserved=0