From: UK medical / health care library community / information workers <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Roddham Mike (Western Sussex Hospitals)
Sent: 01 May 2018 10:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: OpenAthens administrators and NICE

Hi,

Many of you will have received a letter setting out NICE's new responsibilities for administrators.     These restrict us to using OpenAthens account-holders' details for OpenAthens business only.     This is a serious restriction .  For example, it would inhibit us from contacting new OpenAthens accountholders to tell them about their local NHS library services.  Whilst we could tell them about resources available under OpenAthens, we could not tell them about bookstock, library facilities or our professional services.   This is a serious restriction and I don't think GDPR forces this.   I believe this is a short-sighted, narrow interpretation of the rules by NICE.

I urge you to ask your regional leads to lobby NICE for a change in these requirements.     Perhaps if we all refuse to sign up, we might get a proper discussion with NICE?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Roddham
Head of Service
West Sussex Knowledge & Libraries
01243 831507or internal extn 32778
Skype: mike.roddham<skype://mike.roddham/?chat>
http://www.westsussexknowledge.nhs.uk<http://www.westsussexknowledge.nhs.uk/>
[LQAF banner final][Facebook icon]<https://www.facebook.com/WestSussexKnowledgeandLibraries/>[skype-add]<skype://mike.roddham/?chat>
The information contained in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure under the NHS Code of Openness or the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
 Any processing, redistribution, disclosure, or reproduction of this message, except as intended is prohibited. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed.
If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and remove all copies of the message, including any attachments. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail (unless otherwise stated) may not represent those of Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.