Hi,
I'm no legal expert, but (from experience through a variety of organisations) as I understand it the main thing you need to do is update your privacy policy to reflect tell people what data you're collecting and under what legal basis - depending on how the user signed up this will probably either be the "contract" or the "legitimate interests" bases. Just so long as users are aware that their data will be used for Library management purposes when they join the institution. You should already be deleting obsolete user data under the data protection act.

As a small FE library with no external users, we're thankfully not going to need a separate privacy policy from the rest of the college. I'd guess big HE libraries who allow external borrowers will probably need one though (it'd certainly be good practice); particularly if you do a lot of archiving and\or scientific research so process personal data related to that under the "public task" justification.

The ICO page breaks this all down really well:
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/lawful-basis-for-processing/

And their blog is great to dispel some GDPR panic\myths:
https://iconewsblog.org.uk/tag/gdprmyths/

Kind regards,
Vijay

Vijay Chopra
Learning Centre Advisor

Tel: 023 8057 7307\7409

[cid:image002.png@01D138DE.08E9F2E0]<http://www.southampton-city.ac.uk/>

[cid:image008.jpg@01D3EE91.1D484320]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/284058?trk=vsrp_companies_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1738964841415956930908%2CVSRPtargetId%3A284058%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary>[cid:image009.jpg@01D3EE91.1D484320]<https://twitter.com/city_college>[cid:image010.jpg@01D3EE91.1D484320]<https://www.facebook.com/sotoncitycollege>

southampton-city.ac.uk